11.18.2009

Wish List Wednesday: Books



I always have a mile-long list of books I want to read, and since my girls arrived, I've naturally had less reading time than ever.  Most of my reading these days is in the form of blogs or magazine articles-I can finish them quickly if something comes up and I don't have to struggle to remember what was happening the last time I read.  I am currently reading both Firefly Lane and Julie and Julia, but neither is outstanding in a can't-put-it-down kind of way (which is probably good, considering I have two nearly-mobile babies to keep an eye on!).

Assuming I will eventually be able to complete a book within a reasonable amount of time, here are a few that are on my list:



1.  A Change in Altitude I generally enjoy Anita Shreve's books, even if they aren't memorable, all-time favorites.  This one is about a couple taking off to Kenya, reminding me a little bit of The Poisonwood Bible.  I tend to gravitate toward anything Africa-related, so I'm thinking I will enjoy this one.



2.  Handle With Care Similar to Anita Shreve in some ways, Jodi Picoult can certainly weave an emotional story.  I have skipped some of her books, especially the more out-there, fantastical sounding ones, but this one sounds pretty good.



3.  The Help  Sounds like a good story, which is the essential element for me.



4.  Happens Every Day  I actually found this book when I was gathering links for the others, but I'd be ineterested to read it.  The author is the actress that played Stabler's wife on Law & Order: SVU, and it's a personal story of her divorce after she followed her husband to Ohio. 

What books top your wishlist?  Head over to The Foster Family to play along!

4 comments:

  1. oh my word, I loved, loved, loved the Poisonwood Bible. I could not put it down, so I am wanting to read the Anita Shreve one now. Also, I loved Jodi Picoult's "The Plain Truth," in an entertaining sort of way, so I have wanted to read more of hers. Thanks for the list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You know what kind of books I'm reading - all things baby. However I do love fiction, but strictly chick lit and the odd crime thriller like Michael Connolly, Jeffery Deaver, etc. On my bedstand now is a Jane Green novel - The Beach House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked up Happens Every Day at Starbucks this past summer and didn't think it was worth the $10. The narrative is exceedingly whiny as the story goes on and I'm not sure I got much out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Julia...good to know! I will bump that one down the list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond by email, so make sure yours is connected with your profile. : )