10.10.2010

Crockpot Potato Soup

Ah, fall...  Crisp, cool weather...  boots, jeans, and sweaters... pumpkins and mums on front porches...and the smell of a good meal in a warm and toasty kitchen.  It's that time of year, even if it the fall temperatures have not quite made it to Alabama yet.  I love the change of seasons, and one thing I particularly look forward to is a new selection of seasonal meals.  I freely admit I am not much of a cook, but I have a rotation of a few good recipes that Jeremy and I both enjoy.  One of our favorites during the colder months is potato soup.  I put it in the crockpot on Saturday morning, and we eat soup all weekend. 

We have already had potato soup once this year, and as soon as the weather drops below 80 degrees (which doesn't seem to be happening any time soon...), it will likely be making a weekly appearance.

I am a little picky about my potato soup...it can't be too creamy, but not too watery.  After searching many, many recipe sites, I put together a basic recipe that can be tweaked any way your family likes it.  And of course, it's super easy...a requirement if I am going to be cooking it!

Here is my basic recipe:

6-7 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cans (about 28 oz.) chicken broth
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 tsp. parsley flakes
4-8 oz. cream cheese (Sometimes I use more; sometimes it's less.  It just depends on how thick and creamy you want the soup.)

Combine all ingredients except the cream cheese in crockpot.  Cook on high for about 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours, until potatoes are very tender.  Add cream cheese and blend well into the soup mixture.  (I use a potato masher, but leave some chunks of potato.)

We like to top ours with cheddar cheese and turkey bacon, with cornbread on the side.  Yummmm!

DSC01485

After writing about this delicious soup, I think I will be making a trip to the grocery store so we can have a big pot of soup tomorrow....

3 comments:

  1. It sounds YUMMY, Deanna. I love, love, LOVE soup but usually just make a vegetable soup.

    Thanks for your comments about ME in the photos - I insisted that D take some since we had the day off for exactly that reason - I'm never in them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe sounds so good. I think I might try that tomorrow night for dinner. thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good! Do you think it's comparable to Cream of Potato soup? I've been looking for a version that's gluten-free.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond by email, so make sure yours is connected with your profile. : )