4.16.2010

The Skirt

Do y'all ever shop at thrift stores?  My family has a serious thrifting habit.  My mom can't pass up a secondhand store without seeing what they might have to offer...it's always something we "need," of course!  I like to look for name-brand clothes in thrift stores.  At regular retail prices, Gap is about as "designer" as I can afford to buy.  In a thrift store, though, I can sometimes get lucky and find some pretty upscale pieces in good condition. 

About an hour away, just over the Tennessee state line, is the best Goodwill store I have ever found.  I don't know why it's different, but it is.  It's huge and they have lots of high-quality, name-brand clothes for CHEAP.  About two years ago, I lucked up one day and found several pieces at this Goodwill.  One item was a black and white paisley-print skirt that I loved at first sight.  I don't know the label offhand, but it was a well-made piece, you could tell.  It was my size-though I can vary greatly between about 3 sizes, depending on the way clothes are made.  Of course, I snapped up the skirt.  I think I paid $3.00 for it.

When I tried on the skirt at home, it would not button.  Darn those "designer" clothes that run smaller than the brands I normally wear!  (Also, I have NO waist or hips whatsoever...I'm straight from the ribs down to my thighs, so that doesn't help matters any.)  I just loved the skirt though, and at the time, I knew I could stand to lose a few pounds.  I held onto it, telling myself that one of these days I'd fit in that skirt. 

It has come with me to all three houses we've lived in over the past two years, taking up space in my closet, waiting for me to be ready for it.  I purged a lot of clothes from my extensive collection during our move in December, but not the skirt.  I just couldn't give it away.

Tuesday morning, I didn't want to waste my freshly-shaved legs, so I started looking for a skirt or spring dress to wear to work.  I pulled out the black and white, paisley-print skirt and tried it on, just for fun.

Behold, the results....

The skirt that finally fits


Tuesday was a really good day.

8 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! Congrats on fitting into the skirt.

    I've given up - I will be going through my stuff to release them to someone thinner and with no bum :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo!!! That's the best feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Deanna!! You look great =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT! You look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great find! Cute skirt and Yay! You look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love thrift stores!!!! Cute skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a cute skirt and you look beautiful in it! What a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I'm late to the party, but YAY!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond by email, so make sure yours is connected with your profile. : )