1.20.2010

Giving Back

One of the first books I am reading in this new year is Crazy Love, by Francis Chan.  I have heard many great things about this book, but I didn't really know what I was in for when I began reading.  Chan is straightforward and hard-hitting, challenging Christians to stop living "lukewarm" lives and begin living the lives our God means for us to live.  I have been reminded again how great and loving our God is, and how sinful and undeserving we are.  And yet, He continues to love us and constantly desires for us to love him more deeply and passionately.  What an amazing God we serve!

While thinking about all the blessings I've received in this life, I can't help but be reminded of those who have so little.  Watching news coverage and reading reports of the catastrophe in Haiti just breaks my heart.  And yet, in the midst of it, there are stories about people stepping up to make a difference.  Have you heard about the sisters from PA who were finally rescued with 53 of their orphans?  How amazing are they??  One of Chan's points is that all of the amazing and wonderful things people do for others have to start somewhere.  We tend to say things like-oh, those sisters do amazing work with their orphanage in Haiti, but I could never do anything like that.  Why not, though?  All of these ideas start with people just like you and me... they just had the desire and the drive to take steps of faith and make a difference. 

In the midst of this tender-hearted streak I've been in, Jeremy and I watched The Blind Side this weekend.  It was my second time watching it, and I spent a lot of the movie just thinking about what an inspiring thing the Tuohys did in opening their home to a kid they knew virtually nothing about.  Could I do it?  I honestly don't know if I could.  Still, I continue to have this nagging voice telling me that I CAN do so much more for others than I do now.  It all starts with the small things, right?  I'm donating my money, I'm praying, but what else can I do?  I'm making a conscious effort to look for ways I can become more involved and give more to others, and honestly, I'm pretty excited about it. 

What are some ways you've become involved in your community?  If you had the means and the inspiration to take on a major project like the Haitian orphanage, what would yours be?  What cause is close to your heart?  You never know who you might inspire to begin something great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond by email, so make sure yours is connected with your profile. : )