4.11.2013

Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham

When I heard that Lauren Graham was writing a book, I immediately made note of the title to add to my (neverending) to-read list.  I have been an LG fan since her Gilmore Girls days, and I've enjoyed watching her on Parenthood as well.  The lady is amazingly talented, no doubt about that.

But can she write, too?

Judging by Graham's debut novel, Someday, Someday, Maybe, I would answer that question with a resounding YES. 

Someday, Someday, Maybe is the fictional tale of Franny Banks, an aspiring actress struggling to find her way in New York City.  Set in the mid-1990s, the story feels very authentic, and I can't help but think it must be inspired at least in part by some of Graham's own experiences.

Franny is a fun, realistic lead, and I loved how developed her character was throughout the book.  We see lots of different sides to Franny, and you quickly realize that she is far from perfect, but lovably so.  She is exactly the kind of girl readers want to see come out on top.  Basically, Franny is awesome, even when she is making boneheaded decisions, and she just might remind you of your best friend.  (Even if your best friend is not a struggling actress from 1995.)

When I realized the book was set in the mid-1990s, I wasn't sure how I would feel about that.  I'm not sure exactly why, but a setting from that era can sometimes be distracting to me and can feel even more dated than it should.  That was not the case in Someday, Someday, Maybe.  In fact, I found myself a little nostalgic at some of the details--like the decision of whether or not to leave home when waiting on a much-anticipated phone call or calling in to check messages on the answering machine. In the same vein, I found myself enjoying the show business storyline.  It was interesting and entertaining, and not at all pretentious, I thought.

Overall, I found Graham's first work of fiction to be pretty outstanding.  The narrative flows the way I imagine a conversation with Lauren Graham (or her alter-ego Lorelai Gilmore) would, and it is very obvious that she has a ton of natural writing talent.  I hope Lauren Graham will continue to write, and I will most definitely continue to read her work.

**I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.  All thoughts and opinions expressed are entirely my own.

Someday, Someday, Maybe will be available on April 30.

2 comments:

  1. I want to read this book!! Is it a real book or e? Can you share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an e-book, and I'm not sure I can share since it's an advance copy that I received as a document. I will see what I can figure out though! You should read it!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond by email, so make sure yours is connected with your profile. : )