1.17.2013

Review: Full Cup, Thirsty Spirit

When I received a copy of Full Cup, Thirsty Spirit back in December, I thought it would be a great book to bolster a good attitude for the approaching new year.  Like The Willpower Instinct, it deals with some of the topics that move to the forefront of our thoughts during these weeks of life-evaluation and vows of change.

In Full Cup, Thirsty Spirit, Dr. Karen Horneffer-Ginter shares a mix of "personal stories, client experiences, and practical exercises" aimed at helping people find a balance amidst the busyness of modern life.  Focusing on six "shifts" one can make in daily life--Honoring Our Rhythms, Turning Within, Filling Up, Fully Inhabiting Our Days, Remembering Lightness, and Embracing Difficulty--Dr. Horneffer-Ginter offers some realistic suggestions to help people live a more full life, focusing on what matters most.

Each chapter covers one of the six shifts in detail.  Dr. Horneffer-Ginter's writing is conversational in style and easy to read.  Though it felt like the topics shifted quite a bit even within the chapters, her voice is steady and helps to tie her ideas together.  I appreciated the prevalence of anecdotes and quotes from others sprinkled throughout the text.  I am a habitual quote collector, and found quite a few to record in my notebook. 

Over the last several years, I have learned more and more about how much better I function on the whole when I remember to slow down, take a break, and not get too overwhelmed with the pressures and intricacies of life's obligations.  Accordingly, many of the topics and suggestions in this book felt really basic to me.  Still, it is affirming to know that I'm not the only one who struggles with these things, and it's always nice to have a reminder that it is not only okay to take a break, but so very beneficial.  I think I will hold onto this book to return to when I need a reminder to take care of myself, spiritually, mentally, and physically.

------------------------------------------------

I received a copy of this book from TLC Book Tours and the publisher for review.  All opinions expressed are entirely my own.  For more reviews and information about this title, check out the full tour post here.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Deanna,
    I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to read and review my book! I appreciate it and wish you all the best!

    Blessings, Karen Horneffer-Ginter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often need a reminder to keep things simple and to slow down, even thought I ALREADY KNOW I need to do those things. Sounds like this book would be a good reminder for me.

    Thanks for being on the tour!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond by email, so make sure yours is connected with your profile. : )