1.30.2013

Into the Darkest Corner, by Elizabeth Haynes

Sometimes I forget how much I enjoy a good mystery or suspense novel.  I love that can't-put-it-down feeling that keeps me reading until the early morning hours, while I tell myself over and over that I will only read "a few more pages". 

Elizabeth Haynes's Into the Darkest Corner is the first of this type I have read in awhile, and it was definitely worth skipping a few hours' sleep to read.  I was expecting a pretty straightforward plot about a woman hiding out from her psycho ex-boyfriend, but there was actually a lot more to the story.  Catherine has both physical and psychological scars from her experience, including some pretty severe OCD and PTSD.  Watching her work through those issues brought more depth and an interesting angle to the story.

Instead of chapters, the book alternates between present day (2007-2008) and events in the past (2003-2004).  The sections are short, so the details are revealed slowly, over the course of the book.  At first, I was not sure how much I would like that style, but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit.  Moving through the story in small chunks added to the intensity, I think.

I must say, there is a bit of strong language and some violence, which is to be expected with the subject matter.  Just beware, if you're sensitive to such things.  I do recommend checking out this title when you're ready for an intense, suspenseful story that just might have you double-checking the locks on your front door.

Confession time:  I made sure to read the bulk of this book over the weekend, while Jeremy would be home.  I don't scare easily, but I could tell this one had the potential to creep me out a bit, so I just looked at it as a precaution!

------------------------------------------------------------------
I received a copy of this book from TLC Book Tours and the publisher for review.  All opinions expressed are entirely my own.  For more reviews and information about this title, check out the full tour post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond by email, so make sure yours is connected with your profile. : )