Although the girls have inherited my tendency to "hide out" during the heat, we have been out and about quite a bit lately.
- We have been to our town's public pool a couple of times now, and the girls seem to really enjoy it. They are still pretty timid in the water, but I think we just need to keep going to get them a little more comfortable. I mentioned a little bit about how nostalgic that pool makes me feel in this post, and it's fun to note the things that have changed and the things that haven't in the (many) years since I last spent time there. (Still damp, dark bathrooms!) The cost has definitely risen since I was a kid, and we are actually considering buying a pass for the rest of the summer.
- After an afternoon at the pool, we are all usually worn out. This week, it was a little late for nap when we got home, so I thought the girls would skip it and go to bed early. Instead, I came in from the grocery store at 5:30 to find this scene (and J asleep on the other couch):
- Last Thursday, my mom, my aunt, and I loaded up the girls and ventured over to a weekly farmer's market-type setup. Although I only bought a (delicious) strawberry lemonade and a half-loaf of bread, it was fun to wander around and look at all the goods and produce. A & M had a great time in the free children's area and enjoyed about 1/4 of their organic, all-natural fruit popsicles (that were $3 each, of course). Kids! : ) There was also a monthly art festival going on in the downtown square, with a variety of local artists and vendors. Bands and musical instruments are pretty much the girls' favorite things right now, so they loved seeing a few different groups playing music. There was even a full band set up on the courthouse steps. Addison & Mackenzie would have gladly stayed until bedtime, if not for the band taking a break. We will definitely be making a return trip soon!
- A couple of weeks ago, we took the girls to their first baseball game. They were much more interested in the food and the surroundings than the game, of course, but it was a pretty successful evening. We now know not to waste the money taking them to a Braves game for a couple more years...the local ballpark will do just fine! A & M entertained the (mostly older) people sitting around us. They scammed a few peanuts off a nice man behind us, and the lady sitting in front of us bought them a bag of cotton candy. Strangely, they don't really care for cotton candy much (what kind of kids don't like pure spun sugar?!), but it was awfully sweet of her.
- Finally, a question for you... With all the swimming and water activities we've had going on so far, I am thinking I need at least one more decent swimsuit. Anyone have recommendations for well-made, figure-flattering suits? The one I have is Speedo, and it fits pretty well, but I'm willing to branch out and try something new.