10.10.2012

Sad Desk Salad by Jessica Grose

The first thing that caught my eye about this book was the title:  Sad Desk Salad.  Unique, right?  When I received the book, I was struck by the cute cover.  It's exactly the type of book I can't resist picking up, just to see what it's all about.

Alex Lyons is a writer for Chick Habit, a fictional Gawker-type website.  Alex spends the day working from her couch, tied to her computer and smartphone, always looking for the next big story.  Eventually, Alex realizes she has become so embedded in the online world that she may be losing touch with the real world. 

I found many parts of this book to be so fascinating.  I read websites that update throughout the day, with commentary on gossip and current events, but rarely have I thought much about the writers churning out those trendy articles.  The first half of the book in particular was an insightful look into how a day in the life of a gossip blogger might look.  The author, Jessica Grose, apparently used to write for Jezebel, and it's pretty to imagine that some of her experiences there are relayed in the book, at least in some form.  I really enjoyed the glimpse into this "writer's life" that is so different from mine.  Though Alex Lyons's type of lifestyle can seem glamorous at times, Sad Desk Salad certainly exhibits the darker and decidedly less glamorous side of things.  I could probably count on one hand the number of showers Alex took during the entire book, and the description of the disgusting muumuu she wore over and over was really quite depressing.

Ultimately, it is those fascinating behind-the-scenes details that make Sad Desk Salad worth reading.  The rest of the storyline--hot story that might ruin a young girl's reputation, a Chick Habit hate blog, and the requisite relationship drama--were kind of forgettable.  But for a quick, indulgent weekend read?  Get sucked into Alex's online world and give this book a try!

-----------------------------------------------------
tlc logo.png
I received a copy of this book from TLC Book Tours and the publisher for review.  All opinions expressed are entirely my own.  For more reviews and information about this title, check out the full tour post here.

4 comments:

  1. I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.

    Flights to Lilongwe | Cheap Air Tickets to Lilongwe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun read for a weekend getaway!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny...I had never really thought about the people behind the professional blogs either...Sad Desk Salad was fascinating for me as well. A fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked getting the behind the scenes scoop too. And that mumu - ugh!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond by email, so make sure yours is connected with your profile. : )