2.04.2009

25 Things

The "25 Things About Me" list has been making the rounds on Facebook, and although I haven't posted mine on there yet, I thought I would do it here on my blog. Here goes:

1. I am a bit of a grammar freak. I automatically correct everything I read, particularly books and newspaper or magazine articles. If there is a pen close by, I might even make the correction marks.
2. Partly because of #1, I think the perfect job for me is probably as some type of editor. I think I would love to work for a major publishing company.
3. I might eventually start a serious search for a job in that field.
4. I could have been happy with a major in many, many fields in college. Obviously English was a front-runner, but I chose political science.
5. I absolutely loved most of my college courses, and it always felt like class consisted of a big discussion or debate, rather than a lecture. Graduate school was full of even more intense and involved debates.
6. I still like to debate on almost any subject, especially political or ethical issues. I often find myself unintentionally playing devil's advocate and making arguments against the other person's case, even if I actually agree with what they're saying. I think I picked this habit up from a favorite college professor, and it's fun to now use it on my own students.
7. I love tv marathons (see my New Year's recap for a recent example). I also get sucked into tv on dvd very easily, and I have been known to watch almost an entire season in one sitting. I am sure this habit will be one of the first to go when the babies get here!
8. I would much rather eat fruit than most other sweets or desserts.
9. I love Slush Puppies-the original gas-station slushies. They are replacing most of these machines with a new kind, and it's becoming very hard to find the original anymore. The icees from the Icee Truck in Scottsboro are pretty close, and make a good substitute in summer. They also remind me of hot summer days at band camp.
10. I hate to clean, and I am a terrible housekeeper. We are about to hire someone to come in once or twice a month and do the floors, bathrooms, and dusting. Those seem to be my biggest problem areas. Hey, I ought to get something fun out of the extra money from teaching, right?
11. I do not like when people just "drop by" my house. Certain people I don't mind, as they know me and know what to expect when they do come by to visit(see #10!). Generally, though, I don't like surprise visitors.
12. I have very little tolerance for stereotypes, or judgmental people who refuse to try and understand anyone else's point of view.
13. Our dogs are our first "babies," and no, they will not automatically be banished to the backyard when the girls arrive. We made a commitment when we brought them home, and we will try to make the transition to life with babies as easy as possible for them (and for us!).
14. I never, ever thought I would have kids at this age. I planned to wait until I was at least 29-30. Plans change!
15. I am pretty much amazed by my body every single day during this pregnancy. I am proud of how strong it has been and well it has provided for these girls.
16. I love to travel, and I will go pretty much anywhere at anytime, particularly if I've never been there.
17. I might be slightly obsessive-compulsive. I count things, most notably my steps, without even meaning to do it.
18. I used to be a major perfectionist, and would stress about the smallest things.
19. Working as an event planner at Talk of the Town was the best thing in the world to cure me of some of those perfectionist tendencies. I've learned to let the small things go, and that everything will all work out just fine in the end, even if it's not as originally planned.
20. I am also a wonderful procrastinator (goes well with the perfectionist tendencies, right?).
21. I work best under pressure with a tight deadline to meet. Perhaps because it doesn't allow me the time to worry if it's done just right? Hmmm...
22. I never wanted to be a teacher, even when I was little. I still don't believe I could teach anything other than college.
23. Working with the youth at our church and teaching Sunday school have been a huge challenge for me. It has definitely caused me to step out of my comfort zone. (Teenage girls are alternately wonderful and extremely trying!)
24. I have an excellent memory, and I can remember some of the smallest details of events that others quickly forget. Phone numbers are my specialty...I am virtually a walking phone book.
25. I truly believe that God has worked miracles with our baby girls. First, there was the finding of the membrane that meant our monoamniotic diagnosis was incorrect. Then, despite the increased risk, there has been no sign of TTTS. We have had an amazingly healthy and problem-free pregnancy up to this point. I have felt God's hand in every step of this pregnancy, and I will forever rejoice in these blessings He has poured out on us!

A little random, and a little harder than I thought, but those are my 25 random facts! Aren't you glad you know? : )

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up! We're a lot alike....#9, 10, and 11. Also, number 22. I stupidly decided to major in education once, but thankfully changed my mind once I realized what all it entailed when I was dating Andy.

    I hope you're feeling well and I can't wait to see the girls!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond by email, so make sure yours is connected with your profile. : )